- Code of Best Practices for Fair Use - published by the ARL, provides some guidelines for libraries to become essentially consultants to the faculty on the best ways to use copyrighted resources in their teaching and research while complying with the law.
- Nine academic, library and research organizations combine their voices against the Research Works Act, sending a letter to the committee.
- Academics have started their own boycott of Elsevier, vowing not to participate in the effective monopoly of scientific publication. Alas, we've seen movements like this before with little resulting change.
- The University of North Texas officially implemented an Open Access policy, effectively mandating that articles and presentations be archived in its Scholarly Works Repository.
- Also at UNT, the 3rd annual Symposium on Open Access is scheduled for March 21, 2012.
It will be interesting to see how things change, and how it will impact the way we share knowledge and ideas.